A pre-holiday tip
I just went to the post office last Saturday to mail a few packages, one wasn't assembled yet and I planned on buying the "ready post" supplies there. This was a really good plan until I realized I was pulling in at 11:40am on a Saturday morning where the post office closes at noon. I felt the tension even as I pulled into the parking lot. There were three of us pulling into spaces of an already over crowded parking lot and I watched as each person tried to get out of the car A.S.A.P to get in line ahead of the others. The line was quite long so I hopped in, figuring I could kind of pick out my supplies quick while in line as they got nearer. But they didn't have the size of box I wanted so I had to step out of line to really search out my options. Everyone was very quick to step right into my spot. I picked out what I thought was the next best option--got in line and started assembling. The box just seemed to big--all my contents are going to be moving all around, so I get out of line to try the smaller box-- everyone looks relieved that they've again moved up one spot in line. I try to shove everything in having to bend my Sisters birthday card in the process, but it's just not working. Meanwhile the line is getting longer and longer and I'm starting to really feel the pressure of making this VERY important decision of how to package this.....(I'm so ridiculous). Whatever, back to the big decorative box, in goes the bent card and the grocery sack I was carrying everything in for a little extra padding (that did nothing but make it all look more tacky.) I'm back in line for what I hope is the LAST time because now I am all the way back to the door. Then I realize because I have chosen a decorative box you can't see my pen and I need a label. Determined not to leave this line again I wait till the labels are close and stretch as far as I can to reach one and keep my toe in line. I'm sure everyone behind me was dissapointed!
Hmmmm what is my tip? The tip for me is that I get flustured making packaging desisions when the line is multiplying before my eyes. So I'm never going to the post office 20 minutes before closing time again. It is a little cut-throat in there and even nice slowpaced Ithaca can feel tense and crazy. How did I survive in Beijing again?? No wonder I love this place.

6 comments:
This story made me laugh. What is it about post offices that bring out the cutthroat side of people? Seriously! I love the image of you keeping your toe in line :).
:o) ha ha!! I love it.
Going to the post office is one of those "things" on my list -- the ones that I appreciate Paul so much for, because he is willing to do it for me! (It helps that he has a postage scale at his office!!)
Those people stink for not holding your place in line. What ever happened to kindness. I hope their packages get lost in the mail :)
Too funny...I dread the post office!
Cute story! I love how you told it!
Try that with 4 kids in tow. It is really intense. We have inherited a lot of post office coloring books because I choose to drag my kids.
Post a Comment