The camp out
Camping Fun vs. Camping not so Fun
Fun--the anticipation, packing up, Not so fun--finding an old mouse nest full of droppings in our camping chairs, Fun--gathering up firewood from our recently trimmed trees, loading up the car, Not so fun--getting stuck in traffic, Fun--driving through a small river, Not so fun--no park ranger in the office--be back at five, don't know where to set up camp, Fun--Lucy and Owen running around while Kurt and I set up the tent , Not so fun--Owen running too close to the road, Fun--rolling out sleeping bags, kids playing and LOVING it, Not so Fun--getting nervous about the cold night ahead, Fun--going to see the Gorge and crunching all the leaves on the way, Not so Fun--Lucy insisting on pushing the stroller and going painfully slow, Fun--getting the fire started and roasting hotdogs, watching Owen drop his hotdog 100 times while trying to get it back on the skewer, Not so fun--eating the hotdogs :), already feeling to cold and rushing through dinner, Fun--sitting around the fire singing songs, Not so fun--Kurt forgot his guitar, getting Owen's pajamas on and trying to teach him how to sleep in a sleeping bag, Fun--Kids are asleep Kurt and I get to hang out by the fire, Not so Fun--I am panicked about Owen being in the cold...Kurt offers to take him home and join us in the morning, Fun--Lucy and I sleep pretty well, we make a decent fire in the morning. Not so Fun--my socks, only pair of shoes and pant legs get soaked through from the morning dew, Fun--Kurt and Owen return, Kurt brings his guitar and we are serenaded by the fire, Not so fun--Mel gets stung by a wasp, Owen spills cherrios and milk all over the double sleeping bag, for several reasons Kurt and I decide the tent we just bought is a piece of junk and wasn't all the cheap, Owen gets stung by a bee, Cleaning out and taking down the tent and tarp (I usually never like this part), putting everything back once you get home, Fun--taking a warm bath or shower and getting all clean and warm again.
I was the one begging for us to go on this camping trip and I have to admit that I felt it over the weekend that the not so funs outnumbered the funs...I think much of this could have been avoided if we made it in the summer when it was warm. Or if I could just have a better attitude. Even though it wasn't the trip I was hoping for, I really did enjoy experiencing it with my family and I know Lucy thought it was the greatest little camp out ever and she'll wonder why we don't do it every weekend. It is great to watch your children delight in things.

The Bee Sting


6 comments:
You are so brave! Looks like SOOO much fun. Those kids are adorable, and I can't believe how BIG they are getting!!
When did you do this? We went camping during the summer and it was pretty cold and of course the girls don't know how to stay under the covers. It was fun, once they got to sleep. Cute pictures around the drinking fountains. Fun fall leaves.
i didn't appreciate everything my parents sacrificed to have those fun experiances, until now that i am doing all the work. way to take one for the team, things are always more fun in retrospect. glad you are back to bloggin:)
Well, blogging must have been on this week's agenda.:) Loved the worm episode by the way. I am not sure who screamed louder when the worm "wormed" it's way out of your jacket, you or me.:) I wish we had been able to go with you on the campout. School seems to get in the way.:) We definately need to just go and have a bonfire, and then come home and sleep in our warm beds at night! Brave girl for sleeping the the wilderness with no hubby!
I had to laugh out load a few times. Abby is NOwhere near ready for a camping experience. How brave you are. Glad to see the girls stuck it out :)
I love it! My family never did the camping thing. I wonder when Brian and I will ever venture in the great outdoors? Maybe next year. We always seem to have a baby around so I don't dare.
Thanks for your note about my grandma. We did have fun at the beach. My Grandma loved you!
Oh ya. That worm story was pretty funny! I can see you dance and scream!
Post a Comment